One of the worst feeling ever after returning home from a busy day, is taking off your makeup. It is ever more frustrating if that’s an waterproof makeup. Isn’t it? After I wrote a detailed post on How to remove waterproof makeup effectively and safely at home, couple of you asked me how to remove face makeup with oils. So, here it for you as promised. This post is a quick guide on How to remove makeup using coconut oil at home effectively.
How Harmful it is to use conventional Makeup removers?
1. As if the harmful chemicals in your makeup is not enough, we use some more chemically alcohol based makeup removers that only add up to harm out skin more. Some of the potentially harmful chemicals found in the makeup removers are Mineral Oil, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Cyclopentasiloxane (This is considered a mild carcinogen) , Benzalkonium Chloride. These cause serious damage to your skin in the long run and make your skin more sensitive day by day.
2. Makeup removers strip away the natural oils on your face which causes dry and flaky skin. You skin will not be able to live without a moisturizer.
3. Clogs your pores and causes Acne.
4. Signs of early aging.
5. Skin may develop sensitivity towards sun and may even cause sun burn quickly.
Using skin friendly, natural oils to cleanse your face is not new to many. Its called “Oil cleansing” and I have already wrote a detailed post on Why and How your should consider Oil cleansing your skin at least once in your life time
Some of the best oils to remove makeup without hurting your skin are Virgin Coconut oil, Almond oil, Jojoba oil , Argan Oil and Grape seed oil. Coconut oil is one such oil we all have in our homes and is even praised for its versatility in skin, hair and health care all over the world.
It’s naturally antibacterial and antifungal, coconut oil for skin is an excellent moisturizer. So, it will remove the stubborn makeup off your face without drying and clogging the pores.
If you do not like Coconut oil for some reasons, you are fee to use any other oil like I mentioned above. Almond, Jojoba, Argan and Grape seed are a little pricey as compared to coconut oil but have its own varied skin benefits too.
How to Remove Makeup using Coconut Oil effectively
-> Take a pea sized amount of Virgin Coconut oil (I use HATHMIC Raw Extra Virgin Coconut Oil ) on to your finger tips and warm it up to melt the oil. Now gently apply the coconut oil on to your face and eyelids (if there is eye makeup).
-> Close your eyes and gently massage your face and eyelids using your finger tips for one minute until the oil melts all the makeup on your eyes.
-> Take a cotton ball or a cotton pad and swipe off all the Makeup off your eyelids.
-> Wash your face with just warm water first and use a gentle cleanser to wash off the excess oils or dirt left on your face.
-> Pat dry with a soft face towel and apply Aloe Vera Gel
Benefits of Using Coconut oil as a Makeup remover
1. Coconut oil is a natural skin moisturizer. It melts the makeup effortlessly and helps you to clean makeup off your face in a gentle manner unlike harsh alcohol based makeup removers.
2. Locks moisturize in and doesn’t dry out your skin.
3. Pure Coconut oil is the safest and probably the cheapest makeup remover that also protects and repairs your skin. A dual action mode ON.!
If you are interested to make your own makeup remover using Aloe Vera and Coconut oil then you’ll love this post in which I showed How to prepare a Makeup Remover using 2 Patanjali products
So, When are you starting to remove your makeup using Coconut oil