As mentioned in my previous post How I use Coffee as a skin brightening and anti-aging treatment, I bought a bag of coffee recently when I have been to a Coffee Plantation here in Bangalore. Ever since it is lying in my cupboard, I couldn’t resist to try out some of the recipes with coffee for my skin and hair..especially after knowing the amazing benefits it has. One of which is Coffee for coloring hair. Yes Coffee is used to get beautiful brownish-black tinge in your hair. I will show you the perfect recipe of coffee hair dry and how to use and how long to use to achieve prefect brown steaks in your hair..that shines under sunlight. Ready?
This is best for dark colored hair types.
Benefits of using Coffee for Hair
Apart from coloring your hair, coffee has amazing benefits for your hair… Some of which are
1. Coffee increases blood circulation in the scalp and stimulates the roots of the hair, thus increases hair growth and reduces hair loss drastically.
2. Improves hair texture and the nutrient properties of caffeine strengthen hair shafts and thus add extra shine.
3. Coffee is naturally acidic, hence applying coffee to the hair can be a great way to help rebalance the pH levels of the hair and scalp.
4. Caffeine in the coffee blocks the hormone Dihydro-testosterone(DHT) which is responsible for hair loss. So, Coffee can control excessive hair shedding and stimulates hair follicles for new hair growth.
Coffee Hair Dye Recipe:
This simple coffee hair dye recipe requires just 2 ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes of your time to actually prepare this. The ingredients are
1. Finely Grounded Coffee beans (No instant coffee or store bought coffee that is normally mixed with Chicory. Just coffee, as you are using this as a hair dye)
2. Drinking water
3. A cup to mix or a spay bottle for easy application
1. The foremost step to prepare a coffee hair dye is preparing a strong coffee. Here, we are preparing a strong decoction with 1 tablespoon of finely ground coffee and 5 tablespoon of water.
Tip: Choose a round measuring spoon for measuring these quantities to make perfect strong coffee.
2 Boil the mixture on low flame for 12-15 minutes. As soon as you see the water has reached its boiling point and starting bubbling up, turn off the stove.
3. Let the Coffee decoction cool to room temperature.
4. Take a small cup and add the decoction (do not filter) and then add 3 tablespoon of water into it. Mix it well. And that’s it. Your coffee hair dye is ready.
How to use Coffee for Coloring Hair very dark – Overnight Treatment
Apply the prepared coffee hair dye to your hair and tie it into a bun. Cover your hair with a shower cap and go to bed. As this an overnight treatment, it is best to leave it for a maximum of 7 hours to see the color shine on your hair the next day after shampooing and conditioning your hair.
Depending upon the color you achieve the next morning after your hair is completely dry, increase or decrease the dilution of coffee decoration with water the next time you are gonna use it.
TIP: To get naturally looking brownish-black tinged streaks in your hair, applying this coffee dye randomly n your hair without any proper cover up all over your entire hair.
How long to use this Coffee for coloring hair to achieve permanent results?
To see visible results, use this hair dye once a week for 3-4 weeks continuously. You can stop once you achieve your desired hair color. Remeber to use a very mild shampoo while you cleanse your hair after applying this coffee hair dye. Harsh, chemical filled shampoo will drain off the color very quickly.
What to know my Mild shampoo? My favorite Organic Shampoo
Note: Do not panic if your hair has become a way too brownish if you have really used high concentration of coffee decoction for coloring your hair. Coffee doesn’t color your hair permanently. The color will anyway fade off after couple of weeks naturally.
To Read other posts on Coffee..
Don’t miss to try out this recipe this weekend and let me know how it worked for your. If you love how your hair looks after this, don’t forget to DM the snaps on Instagram. I would love to see all of your beautifully brownish-tinged hair.
Follow me @smartgirlsblog on Instagram for more updates and interesting stuff (posted daily).